Friday, June 2, 2017

A Quest To Collect My Youth: G.I. Joe and Basic Woogenomics




Yo Joe!

The battle cry of my youth! Okay, maybe I never actually yelled those words whilst playing G.I. Joe's, but I did spend many a day after school and on the weekends setting up intricate forts and battle fields with my brother and next door neighbor around the age of 6-8 years old.  Around the time the sun started to set on the G.I. Joe line.  

You see, being born in the mid 80's has both its benefits and I guess for lack of a better word, disadvantages.  It's hard to call myself an 80's kid because I really only caught the tail end and got to experience really growing up in the 90's.  So I really missed out on this toyline and others like Kenner Super Powers, Star Wars, and Marvel Secret Wars when they were in their prime, but I had the benefit of still being able to really play with them in abundance as most of my friends were older and already had a bunch.  So I never got to open a 1983 Snake Eyes on Christmas Morning, but I still grew up playing with him and the rest of the Joes through out my childhood.

Now collecting is nothing new to me as I have a rather decent baseball card collection that I've had in one form or another since the age of 8. In fact I have another blog called thelostcardsfile.blogspot.com and have written about many a baseball card conquest. However, I've decided to go another direction as I have just recently completed a few sets and don't have anything in particular that I want to add to my collection.  

I've always had a soft spot for toys and while I never started a "collection" I've always held on to a spare Joe or Super Powers Batman through out adulthood.  With the birth of my son I discovered his first name that we choose for him was actually the first name of one of my favorite G.I. Joe's.  So it was actually the birth of my son that sent me down this rabbit hole.  One simple connection brought back a flood of memories and I've decided to capitalize on the feelings and get to collecting.

The thing I like most about the G.I. Joe toyline is the abundance of characters and playsets of all sizes.  I don't plan to get every single character in the toyline... but you know what they say.  Plans are for fools.

I'm going to start unconventionally and get my top 10 Cobra figures first before I get some good guys to add to the mix.

I've already acquired my first two Cobras and am still waiting on the second to arrive in the mail.  I've decided for the purposes of my collection I would want the figures to be loose, but in good condition, complete, and come with file card.  Here is my first figure in the journey.  I'll try and do as many as I can on video and post to my youtube page and blog.  Without further ado....



Note: In the video I say 1984, I know it's actually 1983.

Stay tuned for my second post/vid

"I'm not your Joe, Bro"

No comments:

Post a Comment